This Pine Cone Turkey with Dum Dums feathers is sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving gathering! It is fun, tasty and easy to create with adult supervision.
1. For a base, line up the Popsicle sticks so that they are side by side, then glue two more sticks on top of them so that they stay in place.
2. Glue craft grass on top of the Popsicle sticks.
3. Glue the pine cone on top of the craft grass, using enough glue so that the pine cone is secure.
4. Glue the googly eyes onto the pine cone scales, where the turkey’s eyes should be.
5. From the orange felt, cut out two strips, about half an inch long.
6. Fold one strip in half and glue it underneath the eyes, for the turkey’s nose.
7. For a different look, cut a small triangle out of the felt and glue it on the pine cone.
8. Fold the second strip in half, gluing the open-ended side under the turkey’s nose. Then, cut the folded side so that it is two strips. This is the wattle.
9. Choose about seven of your favorite colors of Dum Dums (depending on the size of your pine cone, you may want more or less), and put a small amount of hot glue on the base of the sucker stick. Then, place the stick in between the scales of the pine cone, toward the back.
10. To make the feathers look layered, snip off a small portion of the sucker stick so that they are different heights.
11. Continue this process until your turkey is full of Dum Dums feathers.
12. If you are using this turkey at a place setting for Thanksgiving, have your child write his or her name on an extra Popsicle stick and glue it to the front of the fence.
13. Add whatever additional fall decorations you would like.
What flavor does your heart (or your sweetheart) desire? Cherry-Passion Fruit? Cherry-Lemonade? Cherry-Cotton Candy? Cherry-Berry? Dum-Dums Heart Pops are available for a limited time this Valentine season!