Dum Dums FAQs
- Q1: Can I buy just one flavor of Dum Dums?
- Q2: Why aren't all flavors in every bag?
- Q3: What are Mystery Flavor™ Dum Dums?
- Q4: When are new flavors coming out?
- Q5: How many flavors of Dum Dums do you have?
- Q6: Why isn't there more of my favorite flavor in the bag?
- Q7: How do you determine which flavor to make?
- Q8: How are the new flavors invented?
- Q9: I don't like your new Buttered Popcorn flavor. Can you drop it from the assortment?
- Q10: I love your new Buttered Popcorn flavor. Where can I get a box of just that flavor?
- Q11: Are Dum Dums allergen-free?
- Q12: Are Dum Dums gluten-free?
- Q13: Which flavors of Dum Dums do not contain red coloring?
- Q14: Which flavors of Dum Dums do not contain yellow 5 coloring?
- Q15: Do Dum Dums contain melamine or phthalates?
- Q16: What is the shelf life of Dum Dums?
- Q17: What kind of sugar do you use in Dum Dums?
- Q18: What positive nutrition facts can I share about Dum Dums?
- Q19: Can you send me some free Dum Dums
- Q20: What is the history of the Dum Dums, and how did it get its name?
- Q21: How are Dum Dums made?
- Q22: Why aren't Dum Dums bigger?
- Q23: Why are Dum Dums small?
- Q24: Why don't you make Dum Dums with plastic sticks?
- Q25: Why can I no longer find my favorite Dum Dums flavor?
- Q26: Where can I find Dum Dums in Canada?
- Q27: Are Dum Dums with Jelly Bean centers allergen free?
We sell a one pound tub of single flavor Dum Dums in the flavor of your choice at our online Candy Store.
There are a couple of reasons your bag of Dum Dums may be missing a specific flavor. If you have purchased a smaller bag of Dum Dums, it is possible a flavor may be missing. The larger bags generally have the best flavor variety. Less commonly, production of a particular flavor may be briefly interrupted. This is a rare occurrence and generally lasts only a few minutes affecting a very limited number of bags. If you are looking for a specific favorite flavor, check through the window on the bag for a quick search before you purchase. If you are unsure if that bag contains your favorite flavor, or you want to buy a larger quantity, you can purchase a tub of just your favorite flavor on this website.
The Mystery Flavor™ is a secret. We can only reveal that the Mystery Flavor continuously changes and is not limited to current Dum Dums flavors. It's up to Dum Dums fans to guess the flavor of these mysterious pops.
Spangler Candy does not have a set schedule when new flavors come out. We have a total of 16 flavors + the Mystery Flavor™. We generally keep 9-10 of the "original" Dum Dums flavors in the bag, while 2-3 new flavors take turns rotating into the flavor assortment. New flavors in the assortment will be highlighted on our web site.
We have many flavors but usually about 16 flavors + the Mystery Flavor™ are produced at one time for the current assortment.
We try to maintain a roughly equal proportion of flavors in the bags. Sometimes, due to wrapper changes, one or more flavors may have a higher (or lower) number of pops in the bag.
We base our choices for the flavor assortment on feedback from consumers, votes for flavors, and our Quality Assurance flavor lab's ability to create true-to-life, high quality flavors.
We start with a list of about 400 potential flavors. Our Quality Assurance flavor lab is continually producing flavor samples for our employees to taste-test. Our employees rank the samples from 1 - 10 based upon how much they like that particular flavor. Flavors that rank high then move on to an evaluation by our Marketing department. If the flavor meets all of the criteria of the Marketing department, it can be recommended as a new flavor to be added to the assortment.
Buttered Popcorn flavored Dum Dums were rotated out of the mix November 2001. Sour Apple returned to the mix due to consumer voting and requests. We keep 9-10 of our original flavors in the assortment all the time, while rotating 2-3 new flavors into the assortment each year. Go to our vote page to vote for the new flavors you would like.
Buttered Popcorn flavored Dum Dums were rotated out of the mix November 2001. This flavor is no longer available.
Dum Dums do not contain milk and nut products. The ingredients in these products, as well as the processing aids (such as release lubricants), do not contain any tree nuts, peanuts, peanut by-products, eggs, milk, or dairy products. These products are processed on dedicated lines. Go to individual flavor ingredient listings.
Dum Dums do not contain the gluten protein found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats. We have contacted suppliers on the ingredients we use, including sugar, corn syrup, citric, malic acid, artificial flavors & colors, starch, release agents, and processing aids. These products do not contain the gluten protein that causes a problem for people with Celiac Sprue. Go to the individual flavor ingredient listings.
Flavors that do not contain red coloring: Blu Raspberr (blue), Sour Apple (green), Cream Soda (no color), Cotton Candy (light blue), and Blueberry (blue).
Flavors that do not contain yellow 5 coloring: Grape, Strawberry (red), Watermelon (red), Cherry (red), Blu Raspberry (blue), Bubble Gum (light red), Cotton Candy (light blue), Cream Soda (no color), Blueberry (blue), and Fruit Punch (red).
Dum Dums do not contain melamine or phthalates. Further, Dum Dums' ingredients are purchased from factories located in the U.S. and under the control of the FDA. View the PDF file of our certification regarding melamine.
Dum Dums have a shelf life of 36 months. These dates are designated by the Best Buy or Julian Date on the package.
We use either beet or cane sugar in the manufacturing process.
- Each Dum Dums Pop has less than 25 calories and no fat.
- One way to help prevent obesity is to exercise "portion control". Dum Dums are a perfectly sized treat, providing a quick, high-flavor treat without consuming too much.
- It is important to allow treats, such as candy and other snacks, in moderation rather than eliminate them. Children who learn the importance of balanced eating will be better-equipped to manage their own diet as adults.
- Candy does not contribute a large percentage of the fat and sugar in the American diet. In fact, less than two percent of the fat and ten percent of the sugar in our diets are supplied by candy. Most of the fat actually comes from the high-fat animal products we eat.
- Dum Dums do not contain many of the food allergens, including peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, soy or wheat gluten. Dum Dums are manufactured on dedicated equipment.
- Most Dum Dums are kosher approved by the Orthodox Union.
Unfortunately, we are unable to send out free Dum Dums or samples of our new flavors. You can purchase Dum Dums at many local retailers. You can purchase Dum Dums via our online candy store. Many fine businesses also purchase Dum Dums and give them away as a thank-you to their customers. If your local business does not give out Dum Dums, ask them to carry "America's Favorite Giveaway Lollipop®".
Dum Dums were originated by Akron Candy Company in Bellevue, Ohio, in 1924. I.C. Bahr, the early sales manager of the company, named the ball-shaped candy on a stick and figured Dum Dums was a word any child could say. Spangler Candy purchased the Dum Dums from Akron Candy Company and moved the operation to Bryan, Ohio.
Dum Dums are made from a mixture of sugar and corn syrup. After the batch is cooked, it is placed in a large mixer and the color and flavor are added. After these ingredients are mixed together well, the batch of candy moves through a batch roller and press which forms the head of the lollipop and inserts the stick. After the candy cools, it is wrapped and sent by a conveyor belt where it is placed in bags or boxes, and then boxed for shipment. For more details, check out our lollipop production process!
Most of our customers feel that Dum Dums are just the right size for a perfect treat. They are quick, convenient, and packed with flavor. They're just right for kids (and big kids too)! One positive way to maintain good nutrition is to exercise "portion control". Each lollipop has fewer than 26 calories and no fat!
Most of our consumers feel Dum Dums are just the right size for a perfect treat. They are quick, convenient, and packed with flavor. They are just right for kids (and big kids too)!
In the past, we have experimented with plastic sticks; however, because of their unbending nature, we received complaints from consumers about the possibility of injury. Plastic sticks can break in the manufacturing process, possibly allowing plastic pieces to get in the candy. For these reasons, we have continued to use paper sticks. We add a small amount of food grade wax to the sticks to minimize the stick getting soggy.
We keep the core and unique flavors in the assortment, and rotate new flavors in periodically. If you love a recently retired flavor, you may be able to purchase a 1 pound tub of that flavor at our online candy store.
Dum Dums are distributed for us by the Allan Candy Company in Canada. Please see their web site at www.allancandy.com, or contact their Consumer Relations Coordinator:
Toll-free fax: 1-866-944-7416
Dum Dums with Jelly Bean centers cannot be claimed as free of the top common allergens because the jelly bean centers are purchased from another facility which has egg white ingredients manufactured on the same production line.